17 Jan The Do’s and Don’ts of Yacht Repair – What You Need To Know!
Yacht repair is often very costly and difficult – and when you’re trusting the repair of your precious yacht to a third party, there are some things that you should know in order to ensure that your yacht will be treated properly.
To help you navigate the confusing world of yacht repair, Chi Yacht Refinishing has put together this helpful list of yacht repair “dos” and “don’ts!” Take a look for yourself, and learn with us!
- Get multiple quotes for your yacht repair project – It’s a good idea to shop around for yacht repairs before you choose a contractor. Depending on the experience, tools, and capabilities of your selected yacht repair services provider, the cost of a repair can vary wildly.However, remember that you get what you pay for. If a quote seems too good to be true, that company may be using cut-rate products and won’t provide proper repair services – which will end up costing you more, in the long run!
- Start with a smaller project – If you have a yacht that requires multiple repairs, it’s best to start working with a new contractor or service provider with a smaller project – such as a yacht surface restoration – before moving onto things like fiberglass repair and hull repairs.Starting small allows you to see how a company does business on their more minor projects. If you’re not satisfied with the service, you can simply stop doing business with them – without signing an expensive repair contract!
- Ask about the products that will be used to repair your yacht – You should be able to choose the products that are used to repair your yacht, if you have a specific brand preference. If you don’t, you should still ask about what products your service provider uses, so that you can ensure their quality.
- Ask for testimonials and interviews with past customers – This is still the best way to pick a yacht repair services provider. Past customers can help you understand the strengths – and weaknesses – of any given service provider. Ask your contractor to set you up with past customers, or provide you with written testimonials.
- Choose a single contractor for all future yacht repairs – After you’ve found a yacht repair company you like, stick with them for future repairs. Building a long-term relationship will help you save money and time – and ensure that your yacht gets proper treatment.
- Blindly choose the cheapest yacht repair provider – Yacht repair is not cheap – so you may be tempted to choose whichever company gives you the lowest quote. But, as the old adage goes, “you get what you pay for.” There is a reason that cut-rate companies offer cheap yacht repair services – they use inexperienced workers and sub-par repair products which result in a poor-quality project.
- Try to repair your yacht yourself – Surface scratches and dents are relatively easy to repair yourself. But if you have multiple hole breaches, serious damage to your fiberglass, or require comprehensive gelcoat restoration, DIY is not the way to go. You’ll need specialized tools and quite a few expensive products – and if you haven’t repaired a boat before, you run the risk of a poor-quality repair that must be redone by a professional.
- Partner with multiple repair contractors – It’s a bad idea to choose more than one company to repair your boat. This is because you’ll waste time managing multiple service contracts, moving your boat, and negotiating the price of repairs. Once you find a service provider you like, stick with them for the best results.
Follow These Tips For Yacht Repair – Get The Service You Need!
Don’t fall victim to cut-rate repairs from a poor-quality yacht repair shop. Follow these tips to save time and money – and guarantee great results on your next repair project.
Need a yacht repair provider in Fort Lauderdale? Come to Chi Yacht Refinishing today! We offer comprehensive repair services at low rates – and we have the expertise you need to get your vessel back in the water, fast!